FPL | Frequently Asked Questions

Building And Construction Services FAQ's


Appointments and Scheduling

1. When will my underground service be installed?
The actual installation timeframe will vary depending on workload, but is typically between 10 and 15 business days. The project will be released to our contractor for installation once FPL is notified that:

  • your meter can and downpipe have been installed
  • the cable route is clear
  • any applicable fees have been paid

In order to minimize damage to sod and sprinklers, please contact FPL well in advance of these items being installed.

2. Why does it take 4 to 6 weeks to schedule my project?
In order to maximize production and efficiency, FPL crews are scheduled 4 weeks in advance of the construction start date of the project. Material is ordered and issued 2 weeks prior to the project construction start date.

3. How do I schedule a disconnect / reconnect appointment? If I'm a licensed electrical contractor, can I do it myself?
Request a disconnect/reconnect appointment with FPL at least one week in advance of desired date.

FPL's Electric Service Standards Section III on Service Provisions - Page 10 outlines the procedure for a licensed electrical contractor to perform the disconnect themselves.

Electrical contractors are not allowed to reconnect the electric service. This must be performed by FPL after receipt of the electrical inspection.

4. When do I have to have the city / county inspect my work?
Anytime FPL must disconnect service for an electrical contractor to work on your electric equipment, an electrical inspection is required to reconnect service. Please check with your local inspecting authority for further information on specific requirements and restrictions.

5. What are your hours of operation?
FPL Project Managers are available Monday through Friday from 7:30am to 4:00pm. Appointments for construction specialists may be scheduled between the hours of 8:00am to 2:30pm. Available times may vary by location.

6. How do I initiate a job with FPL and how soon will I hear from you?
Notify FPL of the new construction project. you may submit the form online, or download a copy to send in the mail. You can also email your form with other relevant project information to your FPL Project Manager.

An FPL Representative will contact you within 4 business days and provide you with a Work Request Number, which will help you track the status of your project. Please refer to this number when making any inquiries.

7. What happens if the site is not ready for construction?
FPL will not begin construction until your site has been approved by one of our Project Managers. If the FPL construction crew arrives on the mutually agreed upon start date and the site has not been maintained as agreed, you will be required to pay for any costs associated with this failure. In addition, this may delay your project construction schedule.

8. How can I obtain directions to my local FPL construction office?
You can view and print maps to all of FPL's local construction offices.


1. Where do you get your fees from?
As a regulated utility, FPL's rates, rules and regulations are set by the Florida Public Service Commission (FPSC). Click one of the links below for more information on fees.

2. Is there a charge associated with my appointment?
Generally, if an appointment occurs during business hours, there is no additional cost to the customer. Appointments may be scheduled between the hours of 8:00am to 2:30pm. Available times may vary by location. Fees for appointments after business hours will vary based on the scope of your appointment. Contact your FPL Project Manager to discuss fees.

3. Why do I have to pay to have underground facilities installed?
FPL is an "overhead utility" and all fees are based on overhead costs. If the customer requests underground facilities, they must pay the differential cost between overhead and underground as outlined in Tariff sections 6.100 and 6.120

4. What is a Performance Guarantee Deposit? Why does FPL require one?
An up-front charge to the customer when FPL is required to construct underground electric facilities in a subdivision or development where full use of the facilities, as determined by FPL, will not be experienced for at least two (2) years. Tariff charges are based on reasonable full use of the land being developed. For more detailed information contact your Project Manager. You may also view the Tariff Section 10.2.14 for the legal definition.

Planning and Design

1. When do you require an easement for your facilities?
Easements are required for any electrical lines and equipment on private property. The only exception would be the electrical line that serves your property. This applies to overhead and underground lines and equipment being installed on private property. The easement must be executed and recorded prior to the start of construction. Learn more about easements.

2. How can I get a copy of FPL's Electric Service Standards (ESS) for my reference?
You may Download an electronic copy.

3. What voltages are available? Why do I have to pay for 3-phase service?
FPL's Electric Service Standards Manual (ESS) Section III outlines the types of voltages available. FPL will review your electrical plans and determine which voltage can adequately meet your electrical service needs. Any specific voltage requests can be accommodated with an additional expense as a CIAC (Contribution-In-Aid-Of-Construction).

4. How many points of service can I have on a building and how many weatherheads are allowed at each point of service?
FPL's standard practice is to provide a single point of service per customer. However, FPL may agree to provide a second point of service if:

  • the local inspecting authority approves the installation
  • all electrical and safety codes are adhered to
  • the customer pays the additional costs

A maximum of three weatherheads with 4 conductors (1000 KCMIL conductor size maximum) in each weatherhead is allowed at each service point. For additional information, check with your local inspecting authority and FPL Project Manager.

5. What is FPL's policy on installing two different types of voltages in one building?
FPL's standard practice is to provide a single voltage per customer. However, FPL may agree to provide a second voltage if:

  • the local inspecting authority approves the installation
  • all electrical and safety codes are adhered to
  • the customer pays the additional costs

For additional information, check with your local inspecting authority and FPL Project Manager.

6. How do I upgrade or relocate my existing service?

  • Contact a licensed electrician, who will obtain an electrical permit for wiring changes to your equipment.
  • Your electrician should contact FPL to set up an order for changing your existing service.
  • Once your electrician completes wiring changes, he/she will contact the electrical inspection department of your local jurisdiction for an inspection.
  • After the inspection is approved, FPL will receive notification that your wiring meets code and will complete your wiring connection at the meter.

7. How do I get a fault current letter or service availability letter?
Complete and submit the Contact Us form. Be sure to select the appropriate subject in the drop down menu.

8. I don't understand some of the terms that FPL uses in the construction process. How do I find the definitions?
View the Glossary of Terms for an explanation of FPL's most common words and phrases.


1. If FPL needs to dig on my property to install my new electrical service, will FPL to restore the area that was dug up?
FPL construction techniques and fees are based on rapid production (e.g. digging with machines) and do not include landscape restoration.

2. How does FPL power my construction site? Is there anything I need to do to get power?
Temporary electric service will be supplied only when the company has readily available capacity of:

  • lines
  • transformers
  • generating equipment
  • other equipment

Find detailed information on the types of temporary electric service, fees, and clearances.

3. Who is responsible for clearing the vegetation from the proposed electrical cable route?
FPL will clear vegetation from the right of way. Customers are responsible for clearing their property and any adjacent property (if required) for the initial installation of electrical equipment. All customers should to maintain trees and other vegetation on their property before they interfere with electrical lines and equipment.

4. If my job requires service interruption to my neighbors, what do I have to do?
FPL will coordinate service interruptions with all affected homes and business. Please keep in mind that your construction schedule may depend upon your neighbors� approval of the outage.

5. How do I apply for an outdoor or a street light?

Have a question not listed? Contact Us and we will send you an answer within 1 business day.