The natural gas-fired combined
cycle technology FPL has proposed adding to its existing Turkey
Point plant site in 2007 would work this way:
- A natural gas, combined-cycle plant produces electricity
from two sources of energy instead of one.
- Combined cycle is about 30 percent more efficient than
a traditional steam plant.
- Energy is produced by combustion of natural gas in a
turbine, similar to a jet engine.
- Energy also is produced by making use of the jet engine
exhaust to make steam.
- Both sources of energy then drive turbines and electric
generators to produce electricity.
Here's an example of combined-cycle technology under construction
in 2000 at FPL's Fort Myers plant site.