January 10, 2006
FPL offers easy ways for customers to lower energy usage and “shape-up” their electric bill
JUNO BEACH, Fla. -- For many, a new year brings new resolutions. A healthier lifestyle seems to top the list with many people opting for new exercise tips and “shaping-up” programs. Florida Power & Light encourages its customers to add energy conservation as a part of their New Year’s resolutions, too. Lowering energy use and “shaping-up” your electric bill is made easier with winter energy conservation tips and incentive programs currently offered by FPL.
- Set the inside temperature to 68 degrees or cooler with the thermostat fan switch on “auto.” To save even more, lower the thermostat to 65 degrees or cooler at bedtime or when away from home.
- Install a programmable thermostat to adjust the temperature automatically and maximize energy savings. It also helps to maintain a comfortable temperature when waking up or returning home.
- Clean or replace the A/C and heating system filter monthly to trim your cooling and heating costs and help the unit run more efficiently.
- Turn off ceiling fans in unoccupied rooms. A fan that runs all the time can cost as much as $7 each month.
- Avoid pre-rinsing dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. It can save up to $70 a year.
- Limit the time the pool pump runs to 4 hours a day in the winter.
- Adjust the water level on the washing machine to match the load size, especially when using hot water. Use a cold rinse.
- Clean the lint filter in the clothes dryer before every load to dry clothes faster and save money.
- Use the auto sensor function on the clothes dryer, if this option is installed on the dryer, to conserve energy by not over-drying clothes.
Additionally, customers are encouraged to visit www.FPL.com to take the Online Home Energy Survey for personalized, expert analysis of their home’s energy use, or to learn more about powerful savings through FPL’s incentive programs. For example, one of the easiest ways to save up to $100 a year on your electric bill is through FPL’s On Call® program. By going "On Call" you agree to let FPL occasionally cycle off select major appliances such as water heaters, pool pumps and air conditioning systems for short periods of time. This only occurs when it is absolutely necessary; in fact, it is most likely customers won't even notice when the On Call program is activated. However, what customers will notice are the savings. That's because in exchange for making their appliances available on the On Call program, FPL will credit their electric bill every month - even if the program is never activated.
Customers may choose which appliances are enrolled in the program, which means they're in control of the savings. Residential customers interested in this incentive program should call FPL at 1-800-232-2050 or visit www.FPL.com.
Florida Power & Light Company is the principal subsidiary of FPL Group, Inc. (NYSE: FPL), nationally known as a high quality, efficient and customer -driven organization focused on energy-related products and services. With annual revenues of more than $10 billion and a growing presence in 26 states, FPL Group is widely recognized as one of the country’s premier power companies. Florida Power & Light Company serves 4.3 million customer accounts in Florida . FPL Energy, LLC, FPL Group’s wholesale electricity generating subsidiary, is a leader in producing electricity from clean and renewable fuels. Additional information is available on the Internet at www.FPL.com, www.FPLGroup.com and www.FPLEnergy.com.