JUNO BEACH, Fla. – As an industry leader in innovation, energy efficiency and environmental stewardship, Florida Power & Light Company celebrates Earth Day 2011 with the launch of a new online virtual energy-efficiency tour.
The interactive tool enables FPL.com visitors to explore a typical Florida home room-by-room to learn interesting facts and helpful tips about how to save energy around the house.
“For customers looking for a practical way to make a difference on Earth Day, this innovative new online tool can be a great starting point,” said Tim Fitzpatrick, vice president of marketing and corporate communication for FPL. “By taking an interactive virtual tour of a typical Florida home, FPL customers can get a fresh look at the energy they use everyday and find new ways to save energy and money along the way.”
FPL’s online virtual energy-efficiency tour also includes information about best practices for using new technology, such as flat-screen televisions, video game consoles and Energy Star appliances as efficiently as possible. Examples of energy-saving tips and facts include:
- Front-loading washing machines use 50 percent less energy than traditional washers
- Every time you open the door to your oven, the temperature inside drops by 25 to 50 degrees
- One leaky toilet can waste 200 gallons of water per day
- Compact-fluorescent light bulbs use 75 percent less energy and last about 10 times longer than traditional incandescent light bulbs
- Using your microwave draws less than half the power of a conventional oven and cooks for a much shorter amount of time
For more information, tips, videos and FPL's Online Home Energy Survey, please visit www.FPL.com.
Florida Power & Light Company
Florida Power & Light Company is the largest electric utility in Florida and one of the largest rate-regulated utilities in the United States. FPL serves 4.5 million customer accounts in Florida and is a leading employer in the state with approximately 10,000 employees. The company consistently outperforms national averages for service reliability while customer bills are below the national average. A clean energy leader, FPL has one of the lowest emissions profiles and one of the leading energy efficiency programs among utilities nationwide. FPL is a subsidiary of Juno Beach, Fla.-based NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE). For more information, visit www.FPL.com.