Check Your Home's Electrical "Health"
- Repair or replace damaged and loose wires, outlets and plugs.
- Never plug computers and sensitive electronics into outlets also being used for motor-driven equipment, including:
- air conditioners
- ventilators and
- Check your fuse or breaker box to make sure sensitive equipment, such as computers, don't share a circuit with energy-hungry equipment, such as:
- dryers and
- Relocate cord-connected equipment to other circuits, or have an electrician make needed changes.
- For your safety, plant trees away from power lines, and keep branches trimmed. For your safety, FPL recommends using a qualified contractor. Branches touching lines may cause brief power interruptions. FPL no longer responds to individual customer requests for tree trimming around power lines. FPL efforts are directed toward mass clearing of trees from lines. Download FPL's Guide to Trees and Power Lines (Note: These files require Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you don't already have it,
download it now.):
- Equip your air conditioner with a time-delay relay, if it doesn't already have one. This prevents the unit from restarting for about three to five minutes, minimizing the possibility of damage to your air conditioner's compressor.
- Follow the manufacturers' instructions for setting up all appliances and equipment.