Safety After the Storm and During a Power Outage
When a power outage occurs, your safety is our main concern. Here are some basic tips that will keep you, your family and your employees safe while the power is out:
- Assume all cables and wires are energized and stay away.
- Keep away from flooded and debris-laden areas because they may be hiding downed lines.
- Run your portable generator outside, and connect appliances or equipment directly to it.
- If you leave your home, turn off appliances that may have been on when the power went out, or turn off your main breaker.
- Avoid driving in damaged areas. You might interfere with rescue or restoration efforts, as well as jeopardize your own safety.
We also care about the safety of our employees. We do not ask them to make repairs when conditions are unsafe or if the damaged area is flooded or inaccessible. In these extreme situations, we depend on your patience and understanding until we can restore power safely.
Use this information as a guide to answer many of your key safety and power outage questions.