Retail lighting, AC and plug-in electronics
For busy Florida retailers, the electricity bill is often the largest operating expense. FPL employees work hard to supply the electricity keeps your business running smoothly while also providing information that can help you lower your energy bills.
If you lease:
- Even if you lease, small actions can lead to big savings on energy. Installing devices such as occupancy sensors and programmable thermostats, which regulate lighting and cooling based on room occupancy, is a low-cost measure that conserves energy and saves you money. Occupancy sensors can reduce lighting consumption anywhere from 10 to 80 percent, and programmable thermostats can result in up to 50 percent savings in heating and cooling costs.
- Some rooms in your business, such as restrooms and storage rooms, are not in constant use. Installing occupancy sensors and programmable thermostats, which adjust lighting and temperature when a space is unoccupied, is a small step that can result in meaningful savings. Occupancy sensors can reduce lighting consumption between 10 and 80 percent, and programmable thermostats can result in up to 50 percent savings in heating and cooling costs.
- You can also lower your energy consumption by simply turning things off. Train your staff to shut down equipment that is not in use at night. Every kilowatt-hour you save can take dollars off your bill.
- Interior lighting accounts for more than 25 percent of a retail business' energy consumption, but replacing your current lighting systems with energy efficient lamps can result in significant savings. FPL's Business Lighting Program reimburses you for part of the cost of upgrading your lighting to energy efficient lamps. Additionally, you can reduce electricity expenses by replacing incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), which use 75 percent less energy than traditional bulbs, and using light-emitting diodes (LEDs) in exit signs.
If you own:
- Air conditioning costs are typically the highest energy expenses for retail spaces. Upgrading your old system to a more efficient one can offset these costs and help you operate more efficiently. FPL's Direct Expansion (DX) Air Conditioning Program rewards your commitment to trimming cooling costs through incentives on installation costs and incentives on electronically alternating motors.
- For larger retail spaces, improving the efficiency of your roofs, ceilings and windows can have a positive impact on your business' bottom line. Insulating your roof or ceiling, for example, can reduce your air conditioning costs by 5 to 10 percent per year.
Learn more about these energy saving programs by scheduling a Business Energy Evaluation. This free service evaluates your business' unique energy needs and offers tailored cost-saving solutions.
Or, call our Business Care Center at 1-800-FPL-5566 (1-800-375-5566).