Some customers may experience issues when trying to log in. We apologize for this inconvenience and are working to fix the issues as quickly as possible.

< Back to Get Help, Give Help

Bill Payment Assistance

Are you looking for information on energy-assistance programs? Our advocacy partners assist us in securing federal funding to help low-income customers receive financial assistance with their electric bills. Various social-service organizations work to distribute the funds. Select from the options below to view some of the federally-funded energy-assistance programs that are offered in our service area.

Sometimes customers need a little more time to pay their electric bills. We try to be as flexible as possible. Our online payment arrangement offers qualifying customers the chance to temporarily extend the due date of their bills. Learn More

The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federally-funded program that helps low-income households with their home energy bills. Energy assistance is important to all that receive it, but more so if someone in your home is elderly, disabled or a young child under 6 years old. These persons are especially at risk for life threatening illness or death if their home is too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer.

The federal government does not provide energy assistance directly to the public. Instead, the funding is distributed by local community agencies that have the ability to make a payment directly to FPL on your behalf. There are household income guidelines and other criteria that need to be met to qualify for assistance. The local agency will help you determine if you're eligible.

*NOTE: The availability of LIHEAP assistance is not guaranteed.

Information Needed to Apply

You may need the following:

  • Recent copies of your FPL bills
  • Recent payroll stub or other proof that shows your household's current gross income
  • Documentation of other income (Social Security, Unemployment Insurance, Pension Funds, disability, etc...)
  • Final Bill Notice (if you've received a shut-off notice from FPL)
  • Proof of present address (rent receipt, lease or deed, property tax bill) 
  • Proof of total members living in your household (birth certificates, school records, etc…)
  • Social Security cards (or numbers) for all persons living in your household 
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residence

Florida's Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly Program (EHEAP) helps low-income households, with at least one person age 60 and older, when the households are experiencing a home energy emergency and are unable to pay their FPL bill. Households can receive this type financial assistance a maximum of twice a year – once during the heating season (October - March) and again during the cooling season (April - September). Eligibility for this program is determined by a local community agency designated by the Florida Department of Elder Affairs.

Where to Apply

For more information on eligibility requirements and to apply for assistance:

Information Needed to Apply

To be eligible for assistance, households must have:

  • A documented heating or cooling emergency
  • At least one individual age 60 or older in the home
  • A gross household annual income equal to or less than 150 percent of the federal poverty guidelines

The Federal Emergency Management Agency Emergency Food and Shelter Program (FEMA/EFSP) occasionally provides non-disaster related living assistance. When funding is available, it can be used to provide the following:

  • One month's utility bill
  • One month's rent or mortgage payment
  • Lodging in a mass shelter or hotel
  • Food, in the form of served meals or groceries
  • Minimal repairs to allow a mass feeding or sheltering facility to function during the program year
  • Equipment necessary to feed or shelter people, up to a $300 limit per item


Where to Apply

Qualification and eligibility requirements may vary by county. There is no national application process. You'll need to reach out to a participating funded organization for help. For the full list of agency names and phone numbers in your community, follow these instructions:

  1. Go to the FEMA Emergency Food and Shelter Program website
  2. Look for "Funded Organizations"
  3. Select your state and county

Are you in need? FPL Care To Share® can help. FPL Care To Share® provides emergency assistance to our neighbors who need help with energy bills, repairs to heating and air-conditioning equipment, and other energy-related needs. The program assists the elderly, the disabled, the sick and others who are experiencing financial hardship.

Clients in need apply for FPL Care To Share® assistance at The Salvation Army office in their county. Eligibility requirements for Care To Share® recipients are set by The Salvation Army.

Find a Salvation Army Near You

We are partnered with a vast network of social-service organizations located throughout our service territory. We can help refer you to an agency that will be able to determine whether you're eligible for federal financial assistance and also provide the funding. You can contact us for a referral or review the list of partner agencies on our website.

View List of Local Agencies