At FPL, we understand how much you depend on your electric service. When you flip the switch, you expect the lights to come on. We agree.
That’s why we’re committed to building a stronger, smarter grid to deliver electricity you can count on in good weather and bad. FPL has improved its service reliability by approximately 25 percent over the past five years and our service ranks among the best nationwide – 99.98 percent reliable. But we’re never satisfied. We work year-round to improve your service even more.
Extensive improvements every year
Since 2006, we've invested more than $2 billion to strengthen our electric system and make it more resilient to severe weather. We also continue to deploy innovative, industry-leading solutions to improve the grid – investments that are paying off every day for our customers with better service reliability. And, when outages occur, these improvements help us restore your power faster. Here are some of the ways we strengthen the system:
- Inspecting power poles We inspect more than 130,000 poles each year to make sure they meet our standards for strength. When laid end to end, that’s a line stretching from Miami to Washington, DC.
- Clearing vegetation from power lines. Tree limbs and palm fronds growing near power lines are a common cause of power flickers and outages. We proactively clear vegetation from 15,000 miles of lines each year – the distance from Florida to Japan ... and back.
- Strengthening main power lines. We have strengthened more than 600 main power lines, including those serving more than 700 critical community facilities such as hospitals, police and fire stations, and emergency communication systems. Together with the 450 main power lines that FPL has placed underground, more than 1,000 of our main power lines are better prepared in the event of severe weather.
- Inspecting power lines. Infrared cameras can find otherwise undetectable issues with power lines and equipment. This infrared camera technology helps us locate many potential problems and address them before they cause an outage.
We’re investing in advanced smart grid technology and exploring emerging technologies, including small unmanned aircraft systems that help make the grid stronger and smarter, and improve service for our customers.
Smart grid upgrades help prevent power issues and, if your lights go out, help us get them back on faster. Smart grid technology, including smart meters and automated switches, improve reliability by:
- Helping identify and diagnose equipment issues early so we can service them proactively, preventing many outages before they occur.
- Automatically rerouting electricity around trouble spots, confining outages to smaller areas.
- Pinpointing the location of outages quickly – often before customers call to report them – so we can restore power faster.