The natural-gas-fired combined-cycle technology FPL uses at West County Energy Center works this way:
- A natural gas, combined-cycle plant produces electricity from two sources of energy instead of one.
- Combined cycle is about 30 percent more efficient than a traditional steam plant.
- Energy is produced by combustion of natural gas in a turbine, similar to a jet engine.
- Energy also is produced by making use of the jet engine exhaust to make steam.
- Both sources of energy then drive turbines and electric generators to produce electricity.