Florida Power & Light Company has partnered with Florida International University in a recruitment strategy known as the FPL – FIU Student Partnership Program. The initiative began in 2010 and was designed to allow FPL to continue to attract local, top-tier employees and provide immediate career opportunities for FIU students.
The partnership has resulted in the launch of FPL’s first on-campus customer care center where students answer calls from FPL customers in need of assistance. The one-of-a-kind operation provides FIU students with a unique opportunity to begin a career path with one of the state’s largest employers while learning important job skills. The program also allows FPL to begin to train the next generation of skilled employees required for the company’s future.
FIU student employees, ranging from freshmen to seniors, receive vocational training at FPL’s Miami-based customer care center. After successfully completing all required customer service training, FIU students then join FPL’s first-class customer service team. They work part-time as customer care representatives and are paid competitive wages. Along with vocational training, students also gain valuable work experience that will give them an advantage in today’s competitive job market.
- Open to FIU students only
- Required GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Pass pre-employment drug test
- Receive paid training at $12 an hour
- Work 20-29 hours per week, including one weekend day at FPL’s Miami-based customer care center
- Meet attendance, performance and other FPL requirements
- Work at FPL’s university-based customer care center located on FIU’s Modesto A. Maidique Campus
- Learn to resolve customer inquiries in a courteous and professional manner
- Meet the FPL management team and learn about future career opportunities
For more information, visit the FIU Career Services webpage or call their office at (305) 348-2423.