FPL SolarTogether is a voluntary solar program that would allow all FPL customers, whether you own or rent your home or business premises, an opportunity to directly participate in the economic and environmental benefits of solar energy for a fixed monthly subscription cost while receiving bill credits on your monthly FPL bill. Credits will increase the longer you are in the program, reducing your bill over time.
FPL is committed to advancing the use of clean solar energy in Florida. The FPL SolarTogether program would provide customers who care about protecting the environment but may not have the ability or desire to install their own solar systems, with an affordable and accessible alternative to participate in the economic and environmental benefits of solar while directly supporting the expansion of solar energy in Florida.
No, panels will not be installed on your roof or your property. Under the FPL SolarTogether program, FPL would build, maintain and operate twenty solar power plants dedicated to the program. Participants will share in the economic and environmental benefits of Florida-based, large-scale solar power plants.
- As a participant in the FPL SolarTogether program, you can choose to have up to 100% of your average annual energy usage to come from solar, for a fixed monthly subscription cost while receiving monthly bill credits for your share of solar energy produced.
- Your monthly subscription charge and subscription credit will appear as individual line items on your monthly FPL bill.
- As a participant, you will pay a fixed subscription charge and receive subscription credits for your share of the solar energy generated by the solar power plants.
- Initially, we expect that you will see a slight increase in your monthly FPL bill before you realize a net bill reduction within 3 to 5 years.
- Assuming typical Florida weather, we estimate that you could achieve simple payback within 7 years.
- Simple payback is the point at which your subscription credit is more than your initial subscription cost.
- Projected billing dates will start after the solar power plants being built for this program are scheduled to come online. Construction on six new solar power plants is well underway and expected to be in operation later this year.
With my participation, will the solar energy produced through the program be delivered directly to my residence or business?
- No, the power generated through the FPL SolarTogether program would be delivered directly to the energy grid, where it is combined with power generated from conventional energy sources in FPL’s system.
- As a participant, you would receive program benefits in the form of monthly bill credits on your FPL bill for your share of the solar energy generated. Credits will increase the longer you are in the program, reducing your bill over time.
Subscription requests will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis and subject to subscription availability. Upon completion of the enrollment process, you will receive a confirmation email or letter containing your subscription details, including subscription level, monthly subscription cost, and projected billing date.
- Following the first billing cycle of the program, customers can choose to unsubscribe or reduce their subscription amount. However, you will not be able to re-enroll for a 12-month period and enrollment will be subject to subscription availability.
- You may increase your subscription amount once per year within 30 days following your enrollment anniversary date.
- If your subscription request status is reserved, you will be able to unsubscribe or change from the program, up to 30 days prior to your confirmed projected billing date.
- Your monthly subscription charge is a fixed dollar amount per kilowatt subscribed. This charge reflects the costs related to construction, operation and maintenance of the solar plants we build dedicated to the program, levelized over thirty years.
- Your monthly subscription charge will be fixed and remain the same for as long as you are in the program.
- Your subscription credit represents your share of the solar energy generated by the solar power plants.
- The amount of subscription credit received each month is based on your subscription level, length of time in the program and the amount of energy generated by the solar power plants. Your credits will increase the longer you are in the program, reducing your bill over time.
How does enrolling impact my electric rate structure, time of use, demand charges, and/or load control credits?
- Enrolling in the FPL SolarTogether program will have no impact on your existing electric rate structure, time of use charges and/or demand charges.
- Enrolling will not change in any way the number of kWh you consume on a monthly basis.
- FPL would build, operate and maintain twenty new solar power plants throughout the FPL’s service territory over the next two years to meet anticipated customer enrollment.
- Construction on six of these new solar power plants is well underway in preparation for a program launch later this year.
- FPL SolarTogether and FPL SolarNow are two distinct programs. The FPL SolarNow program enables participating customers to support the installation of small solar arrays in local communities throughout Florida, such as parks, zoos and museums, and further the education of solar generation.
- FPL SolarTogether would provide all FPL customers with an alternative option to participate in the economic and environmental benefits of solar energy while earning monthly bill credits on their FPL. Credits will increase the longer you are in the program, reducing your bill over time.
- FPL supports private solar, and we continue to work with our customers who choose private solar and their installers to help ensure the safe interconnection of their systems.
- The FPL SolarTogether program provides all customers with an affordable and accessible solar option. Customers will not be bound to a long-term contract, financing, equipment or termination fees. Your subscription is also transferable if you move within FPL’s service territory.
We’re optimistic the Florida PSC will appreciate the value and customer demand for this exciting new voluntary program and its benefits for all FPL customers. All FPL solar power plants are built cost effectively and generate millions of dollars in savings for customers. FPL is dedicated to meeting our commitment to add 30 million new solar panels across Florida by 2030 and will continue bringing even more affordable clean energy generation to the Sunshine State. You can sign up for updates on the program, including the timeline for approval and next steps, at www.fpl.com/solartogether.
As a participant in the FPL SolarTogether program, am I able to obtain the Renewable Energy Credits (RECs)?
- During the enrollment process, customers interested in further meeting sustainability goals may elect to have the Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) retired on their behalf.
- FPL will provide you with the appropriate documentation if REC retirement is elected.