Resetting your breakers can sometimes restore power to your home. If your power goes out, check to see if your neighbors' lights are still on. If they are, you can try to resolve your issue by resetting your breakers. This may get your power back on right away
Here's an easy, three-step guide to resetting your breakers:
- Find the breaker panel in your home - it may be in your garage - and turn off every breaker, one by one.
- Next, reset your main breaker. If your main breaker is not in your breaker panel, it will be outside near your electric meter. Do not touch the meter. Open the panel beside the meter. Reset the main breaker by turning the switch off and on two times. Leave the switch in the on position.
- Return to the breaker panel inside your home and turn each breaker back to the on position, one by one. In many cases, power is now restored.
Keep these safety tips in mind when resetting your breakers:
- Don't use any tools. Your breakers are easily accessible by hand.
- Don't touch the electric meter.
- Don't stand in water when turning breakers on or off.
If your power still does not come on after completing this process, please call us at 1-800-4OUTAGE (1-800-468-8243).