Summer heat is tough on air conditioning units, but cooling your home doesn’t have to break the bank. Keep your energy costs under control by following these simple tips:
- Cool your home at 78° F or warmer with the thermostat fan switch on “auto.” For additional savings, raise the thermostat to 82° F while you’re away.
- Use a fan to keep cool so you can raise your thermostat even higher. But, remember to turn the fan off when you leave the room.
- Close the shades, blinds and drapes to keep sunlight out.
- Grill outside instead of using the oven or stove to help keep your kitchen cool.
- Maintain proper airflow by keeping interior doors and vents open to help air circulate.
- Clean or replace your A/C filter regularly to help your unit run more efficiently.
- Consider purchasing and installing a smart thermostat and you could save about 3 percent of your total energy costs, approximately $50 a year.
- Consider buying a new high-efficiency air conditioner if yours is more than 10 years old, needs frequent repairs and doesn’t keep your home cool. View our A/C Buying Guide for information on selecting the right system for your home.