Summer heat is tough on air conditioning units, but cooling your home doesn’t have to break the bank. Keep your energy costs under control by following these simple tips:
- Cool your home at 78° F or warmer with the thermostat fan switch on “auto.” For additional savings, raise the thermostat to 82° F while you’re away.
- Use a fan to keep cool so you can raise your thermostat even higher. But, remember to turn the fan off when you leave the room.
- Close the shades, blinds and drapes to keep sunlight out.
- Grill outside instead of using the oven or stove to help keep your kitchen cool.
- Maintain proper airflow by keeping interior doors and vents open to help air circulate.
- Clean or replace your A/C filter regularly to help your unit run more efficiently.
- Consider purchasing and installing a smart thermostat and you could save about 3 percent of your total energy costs, approximately $50 a year.
- Consider buying a new high-efficiency air conditioner if yours is more than 10 years old, needs frequent repairs and doesn’t keep your home cool. View our A/C Buying Guide for information on selecting the right system for your home.
Understand your energy use
Log in and visit your Online Energy Dashboard to discover hourly, daily and monthly paterns so you can make informed energy choices to lower your bill before you receive it.
Get personalized recommendations
When you take our Online Home Energy Survey you'll get personalized tips based on your home and lifestyle that can make a difference in your monthly bill.