Wash clothes efficiently
About 90 percent of the energy used to do laundry comes from heating the dryer. To save energy and money, we recommend that you:
- Use cold water to wash whenever possible and always use cold water to rinse
- Adjust the water level to match each load size, especially when using hot water
- Clean the dryer lint filter before each dry cycle
- Do not overload the dryer
- Use the auto sensor function, if available, to avoid the dryer running longer than necessary
Are you considering buying a new washer and dryer?
Here are some tips to save on energy and costs:
- Look for ENERGY STAR® compliant washers that offer several water temperature settings.
- Compare operating costs using the EnergyGuide label for washers.
- The most efficient washers save both energy and water. They also spin faster, which reduces drying time.