After a storm passes, make safety a priority
After a major storm, we start our proven emergency response plan to get life back to normal safely and as quickly as possible. While we’re working around the clock to restore power, here’s what you can do to stay safe, get the latest restoration information, protect your electrical equipment and more:
- Make the safety of your family and home your top priority. Stay far away from downed power lines and flooded and debris-laden areas that may be hiding downed lines. Get more post-storm safety tips.
- Report downed power lines or unsafe equipment by calling 911 or FPL at 1-800-4OUTAGE (1-800-468-8243).
- Should your power go out, turn off and disconnect electronic equipment such as computers, TVs, stereos, microwave oven, etc. to prevent possible damage. Leave a single lamp or radio turned on to alert you that power has been restored.
- Visit FPL.com/storm from your computer or smart phone to report and check the status of an outage. You can also stay tuned to local radio, TV and newspapers for the latest information and estimated restoration times. Here are some other ways to get the latest information:
- If you use a generator, use it safely. Read our generator safety tips or watch our generator safety video.
- Continue to conserve refrigeration. Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed to help food keep longer. Check food for spoilage; if in doubt, throw it out!
- Remove debris away from utility poles and from under power lines to help clear the way for us to restore power – as long as it is safe to do so. See how to safely remove debris.
- Photograph or videotape your home – inside and outside; take inventory to determine and record losses.
- When power is restored, turn on appliances one at a time.
- If your neighborhood gets its power restored, but you’re still without power:
- Check all circuit breakers and fuses to help determine if they are the issue.
- Visually inspect the area near the meter - if the meter or any of the piping or wires on the wall of the building are gone or look damaged, call an electrician.
If no problems are apparent, report your outage online or call 1-800-4-OUTAGE (1-800-468-8243).