Is your business spending more than it should on lighting? Interior lighting accounts for more than 25 percent of a business's energy consumption. Replacing your current lighting systems with energy efficient lamps can result in significant savings.
FPL works with you to maximize your savings by helping you choose the lighting system that's right for your business. With FPL's Business Lighting Program, your business can get back between 65 cents and $3 for each linear fluorescent light it replaces with energy efficient lamps. And since energy efficient lighting is less costly to operate, you'll save even more on your electric bill.
A case study: lighting savings in action
- Business: Athletic club in Sarasota, Florida
- Size: 23,000 square feet
- Improvement: Replaced 131 fluorescent fixtures with more efficient T8 fluorescent fixtures with electronic ballasts
- Incentive: Received a $294 FPL incentive
- Result: Decreased energy consumption by 26 percent, resulting in yearly savings of $5,387
Start saving today
Follow these simple steps to start saving with FPL's Lighting program:
- Pick a qualifying energy efficient lighting system
- Search for a Participating Independent Contractor (PIC)*
- Contact an approved PIC to get more details on how you can qualify for an incentive
Note: Only qualified products installed by a PIC may participate in the Business Building Envelope Incentive program.
Understanding lighting standards
In 2012, the manufacturing of traditional incandescent light bulbs changed:
- Traditional 100-watt bulbs were no longer manufactured as of Jan. 1, 2012
- Traditional 75-watt bulbs were no longer manufactured as of Jan. 1, 2013
- Traditional 60- and 40-watt bulbs were no longer manufactured as of Jan. 1, 2014
- First generation T8 lamps will no longer be manufactured starting July 14, 2014
A new fluorescent lamp standard will eliminate most T12 lamps and the lowest performing T8s. You can save up to 25 percent on your lighting expenses each year by using more efficient options. For example, an average business customer could save more than $300** annually by retrofitting older T12 fluorescent light fixtures with high-performance T8 lamps with electronic ballast. Visit the Department of Energy for more information on lighting standards.
*The list of participating independent contractors (PICs) is a compilation of businesses that have agreed to comply with FPL's Program Standards, and is not a recommendation by FPL of a particular independent contractor. The decision to select, hire and the management of the participating independent contractor is the sole responsibility of the FPL customer. THE PIC IS NOT AN AGENT OF, OR JOINT VENTURER WITH, AND IS NOT EMPLOYED BY, AND DOES NOT WORK FOR, FPL; AS SUCH, THE PICS ARE NOT UNDER THE CONTROL OR SUPERVISION OF FPL BUT RATHER ARE INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS. FPL DOES NOT MAKE AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY, GUARANTEE, OR PROMISE, WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, THE AMOUNT OF ENERGY SAVINGS TO BE ACHIEVED, THE SUITABILITY OR QUALITY OF MATERIALS TO BE INSTALLED BY, OR THE WORKMANSHIP OF THE PARTICIPATING INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR SELECTED AND HIRED BY THE FPL CUSTOMER.
** $332 per year, attributed to an average business customer retrofitting twenty 3-lamp fluorescent fixtures from T12 lamps to high performance T8 lamps with electronic ballast, with lights operating 3,869 hours per year and $0.10 per kWh