We’re prepared for storm season and urge our customers to prepare as well. Keep your family safe with a plan that includes evacuation routes, special medical needs, important phone numbers and supplies. The tips below will help you get started. For even more information, download and print our guide to help you and your family prepare.
- Develop an emergency plan that includes answers to questions such as:
- What do I need to do to secure my home, car and boat, and who will help me? Know your home’s vulnerability to storm surge, high winds and flooding.
- Where am I going to stay during the hurricane and what are the evacuation routes?
- Where will my pets stay?
- If I plan to stay at home, what do I need to do to be prepared and where in my home will I ride out the storm?
- Review your emergency plan with your family
- Update the phone number and email address on your FPL account
- If you or anyone you know has special needs in case of evacuation, contact your local emergency management office. If someone in your home is dependent on electric powered, life-sustaining medical equipment, review your family emergency plan for back-up power or make arrangements to relocate when a storm warning is issued
- Before storm season begins, have your trees properly trimmed to minimize their impact on your home and neighborhood
Before the storm hits
- Pay attention to instructions from public officials and the media
- Gather important documents, including insurance policies, health cards, list of medications, birth certificates, list of important phone numbers and your FPL account number - and put them in a waterproof container
- Prepare enough food, water and supplies to be self-sufficient for up to 14 days
- Secure and prepare your home