Need help with more than just your electric bill? There are other community resources available for seniors, low-income customers, and those in crisis situations. Select your area of interest below to view a list of resources and quick links.
Help for Seniors
- American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) – Provides information, education, advocacy and service for the needs and interests of persons 50 and older
- American Society on Aging – Offers educational programs, publications and information and training resources targeting the elderly
- Florida Department of Elder Affairs – Helps administer human services programs for the elderly
- Elder Helpline – Serves as an information resource for local elder services. Call 1-800-96-ELDER (1-800-963-5337)
- Florida Council on Aging (FCOA) – Provides education and information concerning Florida’s diverse aging interests
- National Council on Aging (NCOA) – Offers a variety of services and programs for the well-being of older persons
- NCOA's Online Benefits Checkup – Finds benefit programs that can help pay for medications, health care, food, utilities and more with a free, easy-to-use online tool
- Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders (SHINE) – Assists with Medicare, Medicaid, and health insurance questions by providing free, one-on-one counseling
Help for Low-Income Households
Local, State and Federal Info
- The Salvation Army – Offers services throughout Florida for food distribution, disaster relief, rehabilitation centers, children’s programs and more.
- Florida Relay Service 711 – Communication link for people who are deaf, hard-of-hearing, blind, or speech-impaired who use specialized telephone equipment (TTY-TDD).
- Donate Life Florida – Sign up online and possibly save up to eight lives and enhance many more by joining Florida’s organ, tissue and eye donor registry
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance – The VITA program offers free tax help for low- to moderate-income Floridians who need help in preparing their own tax returns
- Lee County Neighborhood Stabilization Program – Offers home ownership assistance to help lower mortgage payments and rehabilitate older homes
- Florida Health Finder – Provides an easy, online tool to search for Florida health care facilities
- Social Security Administration – Helps explain how to apply for benefits, replace a Medicare card and locate a local office
- 2-1-1 Helpline – Call or click for your local 2-1-1 helpline for information and assistance for which you may be eligible