If you or someone you know requires electricity for life-saving equipment or is elderly and alone, please let us know. We have services help keep you and those you love healthy and safe.
If you or someone you love is elderly and alone, we can help provide an extra layer of protection. Our specially trained field employees act as an invaluable set of “eyes and ears” as part of our Always Watching for At-Risk Elders (AWARE) service. They help identify and refer at-risk elders (and others) to various social-service organizations that can provide the help they need. Hundreds of customers have received government assistance, care and ongoing support from the various agencies that partner with us in this service.
Simply contact your local government 2-1-1 Helpline for information and assistance. You may be eligible for a variety of 2-1-1 resources.
Do you have special medical equipment at home? Let us know. Our Medically Essential Service can help you or someone you love who is dependent on electric-powered medical equipment. This service provides extra services, like pre-notifications before a major hurricane. However, it does not guarantee service nor provide an exemption from paying electric bills.
When appropriate, this service can help you with:
- Referrals to social-service agencies that provide financial assistance
- Special notices before electrical service is disconnected for non-payment
- Special notices before and after a hurricane
If you’re eligible for this service, you may be provided extra time to secure funds or make other arrangements to help ensure your electricity-dependent medical needs are met. However, this does not guarantee uninterrupted service nor provide an exemption from paying electric bills. You will still be responsible for backup equipment and power supply in the event of power outages.
Who is Eligible?
Any residential customer whose electric service is medically essential is eligible to join if that medical condition has been certified by a physician licensed to practice in the state of Florida.
Electric service is considered essential if you’re dependent on electric-powered equipment as specified by a physician to avoid:
- Loss of life
- Serious medical complications requiring immediate hospitalization
How to Apply
To join this service, you will need to:
- Complete Part A on the Medically Essential Service application form
- Have your physician complete Part B, “Physician’s Certificate”
- Return the completed and signed form to FPL at the address below or you can fax it to 305 552-4955 or email it to FPL-MESP@FPL.com
- Re-apply each year with a new, completed Medically Essential Service application form
Attention Medically Essential Service program CSF/GO
PO Box 029100
Miami, Fla. 33102-9100